Tuesday, April 8, 2014

journal on pronunciation class

April 6 Entry #1 Writing the Late Journals

I was told to write journals in order to pass the TEFL-A. I had not yet started until today. It took me a while to figure out how to write a good journal. Yes I wrote diary and articles like 7500 words a day to make money, but now everything changes since I have Dale, my almost 3 months old baby boy. Every day I think only him, from the moment I get up to the time I go to bed. So I browsed a while to see how good journal can be written. It is said, “Put all of your thoughts”, well that is quite difficult.  “Do not mind about the grammar, punctuation, and else”, well this is going to be easier and I started to like it. But then again I have to start to write what I have got from the 2 days training about Grammar and pronunciation in LIFT. I have to put certain ideas such as evidence of learning, my insight, the summary, my opinion, what and how I will apply the knowledge to my class.
Gladly, to be in the class is actually very valuable for me. Back in the office, I cannot learn more, that I already the manager of the English Department, though my background is architecture. Most of the English teachers in my office are still in the college and I am the one who has to train them on how to teach and to give them enrichment in English materials to teach. So I think that I cannot develop my department and myself if I stay at the office. Since I am accepted in LIA, it is absolutely a good opportunity to improve myself, especially to recover from the surgery. It is not easy to be someone that judged as the one with low ability in linguist by the psychologist and psychiatrist. The stubborn I did not want to stop at that kind of judgment that I pushed myself to master the area by teaching English, and especially that I have the experiences to teach since 2007. I knew I would succeed because I love English. Once we love something it will be easy for us to overcome any kind of problems. I did by successfully make my physics teacher academy students passed the English class by being able to present the Physics subjects in English. All I did was just applying the method that my LBPP LIA OYEP lecture told me to do by making 30 sentences a day. Well it was actually only applied for me that I made my students construct minimum 30 sentences a week. In each of the classes I analyzed their sentences and corrected their mistakes as a way to give them deeper comprehension in English. It was only 28 hours of meeting in 6 months and when they succeed, I feel like I am able to deal with my psychiatrist’s judgment on my low ability in linguist. Above all, I need to be part of this English teacher successful team in LIA. So, yeah, to be in TEFL-A is definitely exciting.
In LIFT- pronunciation class by Mr. Idwan Deshira, I have learnt that pronunciation is very important, and I agree with this statement because an English teacher is the environment for the students and also a role model so that an English teacher should be careful in times of pronunciation. By attending the LIFT class, I feel like I can improve my pronunciation, changing my habit to pronounce in certain words that I thought I was right to pronounce them. This is definitely important to apply to my class. There were also some videos by Dave Sconda on how we can pronounce words in correct ways. I consider myself as natural English speaker that I did not need to attend the English vocal class to make me pronounce English in a right way (this was certain because my English native speaker himself and herself told me that I have perfect pronunciation), but by being in the class I feel like I got so much on how to teach my students to pronounce words. Exaggeration is important when it comes to pronunciation. I am not that exaggeration kind of person, well at least it cannot be seen from my appearance but others can see from my writings (jahahaha), or maybe because I am intoxicated by Intan, the college student teacher who is quite talkative sits beside me. I always consider myself as a silent person, so I am fit with those who are talkative. I always think that smart people are those who are good in their area, but like my mother always says, even smarter people are those who can teach what they have got. That is why I think being a teacher is a good one. I am not smart but I like to make people smarter. Does it not make me even smarter?! Hahah!
Well then I have mentioned my evidence of learning on what I have got from the class, I have written my insight about the pronunciation, that also includes the summary and my opinion, also I have written how and what I will apply in my class. I think that is all for now. It is not that hard to write 888 words. I wonder why the others feel disturbed. Well, maybe they just not that into writings. I can write about the subjects but I think I do not need to since this will take to 1000 words. I will keep the notes on the subjects to myself. Next is another 750 words for grammar journal and ICT tasks. Am I on fire?! No, I am on my bed… not sleeping, but typing. Hahah!

  

No comments: